Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Back from the City of Traffic.

Hello readers!

Just got back from LA and boy are my lungs black! ;) Actually the weather was quite nice compared to the Bay Area so can't complain too much.

Updates:

As mentioned last week I went to LA to visit my producer Virginia. She has been working on an independent film as a script supervisor. This crew position is critical in helping the director ensure they have shot each scene in it's entirety. As most scenes are shot out of sequence, the script supervisor points out any missing action or lines the director may have missed. The script supervisor is also responsible for continuity. Meaning, making sure if an actor picks up an object in a scene, the script supervisor will point out if the actor accidentally picks it up with the wrong hand during a different take.


Virginia was nice enough to allow me to visit her on the set and I got a great opportunity to see a professional crew work from an excellent vantage point as I was sitting with her and the director the entire shoot. This allowed me to watch an experience director and get ideas and hints as to how I will handle my feature once we start shooting. I even had the opportunity to ask the director for advice for a first time feature film director (like myself) on what to expect from the burden of actual production (essentially, shooting the movie).

The director (I can't name names or the production as a liability issue) advised me to plan well during pre-production. Really use the time to plan your shot lists, not so much as to set them in concrete, but to be best familiar with your material so should something change on the day of the shoot you'll be better prepared. He also advised to basically follow your instincts but to not be afraid to listen to other ideas or options. "Many first time directors," he said, "often second guess themselves but don't act on it because they don't want to appear indecisive. Don't let that pressure stop you from changing your mind. In the end the director is in charge and has every right to change the game plan even if it causes the crew to abandon their efforts to get previous task done.
Lastly, I learned that shooting with two cameras can be a huge advantage for a director. This allows him/her to shoot the scene from more than one angle and depending on the situation could save a lot of time. This is especially helpful and time efficient if the scene being shot is restricted to close ups of the actors and if the lighting can be changed with minimal effort. The moment you change it to wide shots or have to move lights around, having two cameras then becomes a burden. Therefore, I've decided what I need to do with Jon (my DP) is comb the script for scenes we can shoot with two cameras but will not have lighting difficulties.

Mini Short Film Festival

Due to the success of the screening of "Marta's Last Exit" Jon and I are throwing a mini short film festival on December 11th. So if you want to see my latest short movie in a theater screening this is your chance. Also, if you have a short film you'd like an audience to see we're looking for submissions. There's a $10 submission fee and a $20 fee if your film is selected. Tickets to the "Opificer's of Film Festival" will be $12. So please contact me or Jon if you'd like to submit your film or check out the FaceBook link to get more info:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=180829541652&index=1

Well that's all for this week. Hope everyone has a belly full of fun and food on Thanksgiving. Until then...

Forward!

-Gustavo

No comments:

Post a Comment